Leipurin Group has been involved in the development of the food industry ever since the early years of Finnish independence, 100 years. We continuously innovate and develop operations to serve current customer needs and trends.
The wholesale business Suomen Leipurien Tukkuliike was established as a joint purchasing company for private bakeries in 1917, but because of war it started operating in 1920. Initially, the company supplied raw materials, but very soon its range expanded to machinery and equipment for the bakery industry. Machinery sales were taken over by a separate department already before the Second World War.
The company also has a long history of developing its customers’ production and business operations. As early as in the 1930s, the company hired its first “demonstrator”, whose task was to travel round the country providing advice to bakeries concerning correct working methods for the new raw materials and machines. Later, this service was expanded to include giving advice on business economics. The company was literally the baker’s friend – it could be trusted to provide assistance in a variety of issues.
Test bakery activities were launched more intensively during the first half of the 1970s, at first in cooperation with Suomen Leipuriliitto (the Finnish Bakery Association). The first test bakery was established in 1972 and it was immediately used for both experimenting with new baking products and supporting customers’ own product development.
More determined export activities began in the late 1970s: machinery and equipment were exported, particularly to the Soviet Union. In the 1990s, the pace of internationalization really accelerated: operations were launched in Estonia in 1994, and the Russian subsidiary was established in 1997. Currently, the company has a presence in the Baltic countries, Poland and Russia, where it has operations in four major cities.
Membership in the EU and the associated deregulation of imports significantly expanded the company’s product range and reinforced its position in the market. At the same time, operations were expanded to include raw materials for the meat and convenience food industries. With corporate acquisitions, the product range expanded to other strong food industry products.
The company, established by bakers in 1917, was listed on the brokers’ list at the Helsinki Stock Exchange in 1982. After various ownership stages and name changes, Leipurin found an owner with a long history when Aspo Plc, established in 1929, acquired the company in spring 2008. Aspo is focusing on business areas requiring extensive specialized expertise, and Leipurin is one of Aspo’s strong company brands.
Leipurin Group and its products and services are developed continuously. Leipurin has become a unique provider of solutions for bakery and confectionery products, the food industry and, according to its revised strategy, the out of home (OOH) market. We want to serve all of our customers in all our markets with excellence and expertise.